Guide in Making Perfect Macarons
Guide to Making Macarons is rated
based on 68 votes.
Make 40 small macarons
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes and the rest of the mixture is 1 hour
For the Italian Meringue
- 150g (5oz) aged egg white (make by leaving egg white in a bowl on a
bench for 2 days)
- 400g (14oz) caster sugar
- 100ml (3 fl oz)water
- Add food colouring to the meringue if required.
For the Almond Mixture
- 150g (5oz) fresh egg white
- 250g (8oz) almond meal / almond flour
- 250g (8oz)icing sugar
1. Start by mixing the icing sugar with the almond flour / almond meal and using a
strainer, sift the mixture into a bowl.
2. Heat the water with castor sugar on low heat while stirring
initially. Stop stirring when the sugar mix clears as the temperature
3. When the temperature reaches 100degC, start whisking the
aged egg white on low speed.
4. Add food colouring into the sugar mix and keep heating
gently till the temperature reaches 121 degC.
5. When the temperature reaches 121degC, slowly pour the sugar mix
straight into the mixing egg white. Keep mixing till the bowl has cooled
to room temperature. The meringue should be glossy and smooth.
6. Fold and press the Italian meringue into the almond mixture
until it's a smooth consistency.
7. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe the macarons
into 3cm diameter circles. Leave until the skin dries. This is an
important step in getting the feet to form.
8. Bake macarons in oven at 135 degC for 12-15 minutes.
More Great Recipes @ www.macarons.org.uk